31.10.2014, 17:11 UTC+1  

You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Battletracker.com. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

~Chris~

Private First Class

Awards: 2 / 24

22.05.2010, 11:45

Ever heard stories of airplanes landing on the german autobahn?

Ever heard stories of airplanes landing on the german autobahn? Ever heard that the autobahn was also builed and desigend for aircafts and used as airfield when necessary and you think it's a modern myth? Well.. see urself, it isn't. it's true!

Who says a road without speed limits only pertains to vehicular use?
During a NATO emergency exercise, several large aircraft were spotted
landing on the straights of the Autobahn.
http://www.examiner.com/x-4824-Tampa-Spo…on-the-Autobahn

Planes Landing On Autobahn NATO Exercise “Highway 84″ West Germany
http://jorbest.com/sportgeschaft/?p=602

http://www.relikte.com/ahlhorn_nlp/index.htm

Today, it would need some tome to rebuild this Autobahn section for airplanes. Since the end of the cold war, more and more parts of the Autobahnnetworksystem are changed, so that they can not be used for aircrafts easylie.

$[RD]$Mister_Rubby

<! God of Assault !>

Awards: 16 / 24

22.05.2010, 13:24

Good to know.

These Germans are just fantastic!

:mask:

.nTca;

Private First Class

22.05.2010, 18:51

Thats jsut crazy

~Chris~

Private First Class

22.05.2010, 19:29

Thats jsut crazy
yes, thats why it is sooo cool :D:D

=theFlatlander=

masterofdesaster

Awards: 0 / 24

23.05.2010, 13:32

they even had placed explosives all the time on all important bridges to stop (or better slow down) the red army.

since the soviets plan was to reach the france west coast within 48 hours not a bad plan....

and at some of our biggest subway station they installed huuuuge nuclear shelter,in some fits over 10000 people.completly suited wih beds, food and so on.we keep that ready to go over 40 years^^
saw it in a documentary a year ago and i was stunned:D

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "=theFlatlander=" (23.05.2010, 13:38)

~Chris~

Private First Class

23.05.2010, 15:24

they even had placed explosives all the time on all important bridges to stop (or better slow down) the red army.

since the soviets plan was to reach the france west coast within 48 hours not a bad plan....

and at some of our biggest subway station they installed huuuuge nuclear shelter,in some fits over 10000 people.completly suited wih beds, food and so on.we keep that ready to go over 40 years^^
saw it in a documentary a year ago and i was stunned:D
Hehe, i think you would be even more stunned if you would know the outcomes of the cold war (or also ww2), like bunkers and secrets, secret agents, etc what is now declassified, available to scientists, historians, but still beyoned "main stream knowledge" :D But bunkers or tunnels aren't new in history.

Whatever, i am not a fan of conspiracy theories..., i think many, possibly most are rubbish, but i don't think all are..

Anyway, the hottest place if the cold war would had turn into a hot war, would have been germany, i am pretty sure....

*edit* if you have a bit interest in history you can learn and know some things by your own, what it is not part in school in lessons of history.

The swiss had explosives in their bridges for decades. Installed short time before the outbreak of ww2 in fear of german invasion. now they remove the explosive, they realized that the germans aren't a thread anymore :P So the idea isn't new. But what i didn't know was, that it was common in other eu-countries like germany too, in case of a soviet invasion. That's new to me.

Yeah, the polish declassified 90% of the top secret documents from the warsaw pact a few years ago. There were also plans ready for the liberation of Denmark by united soviet-polish-eastgerman forces, etc.etc.
But plans for attack and defense are still present in desks, also by NATO-States.

Yeah, the communist states did that too. For example the metro in St.Petersburg. Railway goes down for almost 100 meters down into earth untill you reach the subwaystation. What i didn't know that the germans did install nuclear shelters in subways too.

History is interessting :)

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "~Chris~" (23.05.2010, 20:20)

Parabellum

*Macho Lusitano*

Awards: 1 / 24

24.05.2010, 20:11

I believe it's fair to say Germany was more of a fortress during the Cold War than it has ever been during the World War 2.

Crazy times were those... Jeez!

Cool videos Chris ;)

P.S - And now, if we're talking about the history of the "scourged earth" strategy, it was first developed during the Napoleonic Wars, by Portuguese engineers and built by British and Portuguese soldiers:

Basically the Portuguese and the British would start to fight the French and the Spanish from the borders to Lisbon (since they were trying to capture the Portuguese king). Since the Allies were in a numerical disadvantage, the Ministry of War ordered the built of several trenches in the North of Lisbon, in the Sintra Mountain Range, where the Anglo-Portuguese forces would retreat to. In the meanwhile the soldiers were ordered to rescue as many people as possible and bring them to Lisbon, at the same time they burnt everything they found, as well as bridges, (like Russia in WWII) so that the French either returned to Spain for supplies or continued to march into Portugal with the hope of finding supplies.

Eventually they reached the city of Torres Vedras, where the trenches existed. With a full-numbered and highly-moralled army, the Portuguese and the British managed to send the French back to Spain, losing 10 times more soldiers than the Portuguese and the British did.

Torres Vedras lines would fall to French hands later, after the French managed to surround Lisbon by sea. It was temporary though as the Portuguese Navy sent a powerful battalion from Rio de Janeiro (then turned into the capital of the United Kingdom of Portugal and Brazil) that, with British naval support, destroyed the French ships and recaptured Lisbon.

In Porto the people would sabotage their own bridges to avoid a French conquest. It's still called the "unconquerable city" (cidade invicta, in Portuguese) as, to this day, no army managed to siege it, be them from Spain, Castille, France, and sometimes the odds were very grim for the Portuguese.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Parabellum" (24.05.2010, 20:29)

Awards: 0 / 24

22.02.2011, 16:56

now they can say they have a new airport lmao