24.04.2014, 18:09 UTC+2  

You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Battletracker.com. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

nuke21

Private First Class

Awards: 3 / 24

05.08.2010, 05:41

What volume to choose simple, spanned, or striped?

What volume to choose choose simple, spanned, or striped?

I got a new hard drive to replace my main on my laptop. I plugged it into my external because I made images of my main and was going to image my new one with my current information for a quick easy swap. When I plugged it into my external it is asking me to choose simple, spanned, or striped. I think I should go with simple, but I decided to ask the pros on here before I went along. I tried looking on google but I just kept getting a lot of information on some dynamic hard drive and it was just confusing me.
Mess with the best, BLEED like the rest.

El_Poochino

Private First Class

Awards: 0 / 24

05.08.2010, 15:50

Go simple. Other two are for hooking up other drives to make one, big volume.

Windows spill on dynamic disks.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windo…d-dynamic-disks

Nom, nom, nom.

nuke21

Private First Class

Awards: 3 / 24

06.08.2010, 01:24

So if I wanted one big hard drive I could do that with 2?

Like my laptop can accept 2 hard drives. If I wanted to like make 1 huge C: I could do that? Even if both hard drives were different sizes and different speeds?
Mess with the best, BLEED like the rest.

El_Poochino

Private First Class

Awards: 0 / 24

06.08.2010, 07:03

You should be able to set up the two drives as one spanned volume and have one big drive. You'll notice a preformance dive as you read and write data off the slower drive but it should work.

Backup all data to a safe place before starting, as you'll lose the data on the drives. And word of caution in using the built in image backup in Vista, I backed up a RAID0 volume using it to a third drive and restoring it to a fourth drive was a PITA. I had to use third party software which could read the format.