21.10.2017, 15:50 UTC+2  

You are not logged in.

Awards: 0 / 24

19.02.2008, 17:23

90% of them are about the Vietnam war :laugh:

Most of them are very interesting and intense ... the more I read about the war, the more I "speak" with veterans about it, the more I want to know about it.

Just let me know if you need a hint which book to get first ;)
Because I am hard, you will not like me, but the more you hate me the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair.
(GySgt Hartman to recruits in Full Metal Jacket)

capndble

IC Flash & Humper

17.03.2008, 06:58

Figured I'd update my list. Haven't done so in a while.

S0G- The Secret Wars of American Commandos in Vietnam by John L. Plaster

Already been mentioned I think

Baa Baa Black Sheep by Gregory Pappy Boyington.

A great book by the legendary WW2 pilot himself.

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell

I just finished this one last week. Luttrell tells a gut wrenching tail of himself(a SEAL) and his fellow SEALs in Afghanistan.

Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green by Johnny Rico

A book I read last year. Don't remember much about it other than I didn't like it much.

Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden

Great book. I learned a lot about the Columbian drug empire and Pablo Escobar. I'd always heard the name but never knew just how awful he could be. The book is about his rise to popularity ultimately becoming a drug czar, actions he took to remain in power, and his hiding as he's hunted down by Columbian police and Los Pepes aided by the US. Starts off with a history of Columbian politics so you have an understanding of the political climate.

Bowden is an outstanding author. They're using this book to make a movie coming out next year. Hopefully it can match Blackhawk Down.

Guests of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowden
Probably more political than military, but a great book nonetheless. A great review of the US Embassy takeover in Tehran in 1979. A loved this book.

Again, Mark Bowden is an outstanding author.

esperanto

Recruit

17.03.2008, 11:52

Damn, I was just thinking of ordering "Killing Pablo" two days ago. A friend told me that Bowden would be awesome. I only knew Black Hawk Down so far, which is great.
I still decided to buy some books about Kosovo instead and didn't want to spend too much money, so I didn't order "Killing Pablo". I might will regret it. But it is definitely on my list, seems like a brillant work and a fascinating subject. Didn't know about a movie though, but I rather read the book before.

18.06.2008, 07:28

New books:

"Battlelines"
by David B. Brown

"A Sniper in the Arizona: 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines, in the Arizona Territory, 1967: 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines in the Arizona Territory, 1967"
by John J. Culbertson

"With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa"
by E. B. Sledge

"MIA Rescue"
by Kregg P. J. Jorgenson

"Very Crazy, G.I.!: Strange But True Stories of the Vietnam War"
by Kregg P. J. Jorgenson

"LRRP Company Command: The Cav's Lrp/Rangers in Vietnam, 1968-1969"
by Kregg Jorgenson

"A Few Good Men: A History of the Fighting Fifth Marines"
by Ronald J. Brown

:mask:
Because I am hard, you will not like me, but the more you hate me the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair.

capndble

IC Flash & Humper

18.06.2008, 11:01

Quoted

Originally posted by Bandito-UE25-

"Very Crazy, G.I.!: Strange But True Stories of the Vietnam War"
by Kregg P. J. Jorgenson

Let me know if this one is any good. I've seen it at the bookstore for at least a couple of years now, but I've never bought it. I skimmed through it and it looked like a collection of short-stories.

18.06.2008, 11:14

Will do.

I orderd it via Amazon - the seller lives in New Zealand :ermm:

Could take some time till it arrives :ahm: :doh: :laugh:

08.07.2008, 12:00

The book arrived yesterday :happy: but I´ll have to finish an other book first :wacko:

I´ll let you know how it reads :mask:

capndble

IC Flash & Humper

08.07.2008, 22:59

Quoted

Originally posted by Bandito-UE25-
The book arrived yesterday :happy: but I´ll have to finish an other book first :wacko:

I´ll let you know how it reads :mask:

I know how that goes. I've got about 6 books I haven't been able to touch yet. I'm a sucker for a bookstore. Can't go in without walking out with 3 or more.

14.07.2008, 17:34

I finished the first ~120 pages - quite easy read so far

Stories are quite short - between 5-15 pages

Favorite one was about a Sgt Maj getting called "Top" ( 1Sgt ) by a 2nd Lt - I think you can guess that he wasn´t that pleased about that :laugh:

Defenitely worth buying it - payed 6 Euro at Amazon :thumbup2:

capndble

IC Flash & Humper

17.07.2008, 22:07

Cool. I'll look it up on amazon or see what's on ebay. Haven't read anything taking place during Vietnam in a while. It's about time to mix it up a little.

HuronKing

The Faith of Jesus

13.05.2013, 08:53

I love books by Freelance Academy Press. Facsimiles of historical combat manuals are my new favorite thing to collect.
Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition
Psalm 119:89
Forever O Lord Thy Word Is Settled In Heaven

Fortitudo et Macto
"There is nothing worse than a person too stupid to know how dumb they are."