17.12.2017, 14:58 UTC+1  

You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Battletracker.com. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DX-THeGAME

Private First Class

Awards: 0 / 24

19.07.2006, 19:58

Might help with Desktop crashes and false starts.

I remember I used to use it when I first got BF2 and it solved the CTD issue on my older PC. Even if you have a newer PC, it might help.

Go to C: \Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Settings
Open up videoDefault. con with notepad
Change
renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0

to read
renderer. allowAllRefreshRates 1

Do the same with C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\xpack\bf2\Settings VideoDefault.con if you have Special Forces.

This allows the game to run the refresh rate of your PC instead of it expecting it to be 60 or 75htz. There are a few reasons why the game might think you are running some weird resolution and its not always easy to spot.
Let me know if it helps!

Added:
Using the same theory as the unsupported refresh rate post..

If you have some PC savy..
First, change your desktop res and refresh rate to
600x800 @ 60hz. Make sure that they read 600x800 @60hz. If it says something else, you need to patch your hardware.

Then make a copy of your BF2 desktop icon and add the following so it looks like this..

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 800 +szy 600

You should be able to play. Then you can up your settings.

This post has been edited 5 times, last edit by "DX-THeGAME" (26.08.2006, 18:57)

GrmRprRG

V.I.P.

Awards: 1 / 24

21.07.2006, 22:51

Could be a coincidence, but I crashed on the first server I tried with these mods. Since it works for you, THeGAME, this may be fine if someone is running a different screen res/refresh rate than BF2 normally supports.

I don't think there is a single cause for CTDs. Some of it may be server-side related. But I found a few things I could do that seemed to help alleviate the frequency of my own CTDs.
1. Remove the 20% bandwidth reqstriction inherent on Windows XP

Quoted

opening a cmd shell and running gpedit.msc. Under Administrative Template -> Network you'll see a folder for QoS Packet Scheduler. Click on that and on the right side of the window you'll see Limit Reservable Bandwith. Right click there and click Properties. Make sure that's Enabled and then set the Bandwidth Limit % number to 0. Click "OK" and then close the window.

2. Install or repair (rerun) .Net Passport 2.0
http://download.microsoft.com/download/5…5a/dotnetfx.exe

And may god (or some other real or imagined entity) help us all!

“You, you, and you…panic. The rest of you, come with me.”
- U.S. Marine Corp Gunnery Sgt.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "GrmRprRG" (21.07.2006, 22:51)

WhyYouLoveMe

Private First Class

21.07.2006, 23:22

Just uninstall QoS - Your ISP doesn't run it anyway. (unless you've got it on your router because your house tele line is VOIP - or you're playing from work and they have VOIP *gasp* shame!)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "WhyYouLoveMe" (21.07.2006, 23:23)

DX-THeGAME

Private First Class

21.07.2006, 23:43

Thanks Reaper.

Ive gotten a few responses back, and it isnt helping everyone. Ther are some other issues to be sure.

To tell the truth, I dont need this setting. I never crash. Its more for the people to try out, even more so if they are the install and go type that might not know anything about setting up a PC.

Some have told me that they are getting crashes, but they are alot fewer. Others have said what you did, that it crashed on the first attempt, but then havent had any since. Some have said it didnt do anything at all.

So far, it looks like 3up and 2down. But if poeple try it and post, Id be able to get a more general idea of exactly what types of problems it helping.

Thanks for the .net passport tip, Ill add it to the list of things to try. However, QOS wont help at all. By default, it isnt enabled, and only certain programs use it anyway(*Note: one type IS some VOIP software). You can unistall it and shut off the service if you wish. I just did ALOT of reading on QOS, lol.

GrmRprRG

V.I.P.

22.07.2006, 00:42

Quoted

Originally posted by DX-THeGAME
However, QOS wont help at all. By default, it isnt enabled, and only certain programs use it anyway(*Note: one type IS some VOIP software). You can unistall it and shut off the service if you wish. I just did ALOT of reading on QOS, lol.

As I understand it, Windows XP applies the 20% bandwidth restriction by default if Qos isn't configured or enabled.

DX-THeGAME

Private First Class

22.07.2006, 03:05

From AXCEL216

Microsoft does NOT reserve NOR use ANY amount/percentage of your bandwidth for the QoS Packet Scheduler, UNLESS the QoS service is actively transmitting/receiving ANY data/packets between your computer (which MUST use a QoS aware program) and the QoS enabled internet/network.
This is achieved through a series of PATH and RESV refresh messages sent back and forth over the connection.

From Microsoft..

Clarification about the use of QoS in end computers that are running Windows XP:
As in Windows 2000, programs can take advantage of QoS through the QoS APIs in Windows XP. One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20 percent of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending sufficient data to use it, the unused part of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host.

Correction of some incorrect claims about Windows XP QoS support:
There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the "Clarification about QoS in end computers that are Running Windows XP" section correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "DX-THeGAME" (22.07.2006, 03:06)

GrmRprRG

V.I.P.

22.07.2006, 05:35

Sweet, Game. Can you edit your post above to give links to that data? That would be a big reference help for others.

DX-THeGAME

Private First Class

22.07.2006, 10:38

You can start here, and the links are included..

http://www.mdgx.com/xp1.htm#WPQF

24.07.2006, 01:02

thanks for the link game.....when i got into the "Limit reservable bandwidth" mine was set as "not configured. Should I enable it and put it to 0?

DX-THeGAME

Private First Class

24.07.2006, 02:27

I just uninstalled it.
Start, control panel, network connections.

Find your primaty connection AND the connection for your router if you have one.

QoS packet scheduler

Uninstall.

Remember, by deafult its no big deal and most people will never see a QoS addition to your internet connection.

Either leave it alone or uninstall it. Up to you and it will rarely make a difference.

The impact of this post is in the first thread. Changing the renderer. allowAllRefreshRates field to stop crashes.

mich06

Recruit

28.09.2006, 03:44

thanks game!!!

i just tried what you said in the first post and it fixed my ping,

went back to 30- from 200+:w00t:

Damage7

Recruit

02.10.2006, 06:33

so if you are running a router you cant do this????

NEVERMIND THANKS GAME

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Damage7" (02.10.2006, 06:35)

15.10.2006, 18:39

Quoted

Originally posted by DX-THeGAME
I remember I used to use it when I first got BF2 and it solved the CTD issue on my older PC. Even if you have a newer PC, it might help.

Go to C: \Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Settings
Open up videoDefault. con with notepad
Change
renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0

to read
renderer. allowAllRefreshRates 1

Do the same with C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\xpack\bf2\Settings VideoDefault.con if you have Special Forces.

This allows the game to run the refresh rate of your PC instead of it expecting it to be 60 or 75htz. There are a few reasons why the game might think you are running some weird resolution and its not always easy to spot.
Let me know if it helps!

ok i have been having this problem bad CTD and crashing to reboot a couple of times per game i did like u said and in the first 15 mins or so it CTD but i have played for abt 8 hours straight and only CTD TWICE since then so i have to say thank you thank you thank you thank you oh and incase i forget thanks very helpfull :yes:

and i also notice my ping dropped a little from abt 40 to abt 15 :w00t:

seargent

Recruit

07.09.2007, 13:44

RE: Might help with Desktop crashes and false starts.

Nice!

It helped me with my kicks for "server comm. failure" in game only happened once since. But I still have a connection problem so often its not hard wopp my ass in close combat.

My friend have the same problem and we didnt before the summer? could it be some local shit going on?

Thank U!

KlaatuOne

Sergeant

07.09.2007, 13:55

Quoted

Originally posted by seargent
Nice!

It helped me with my kicks for "server comm. failure" in game only happened once since. But I still have a connection problem so often its not hard wopp my ass in close combat.

My friend have the same problem and we didnt before the summer? could it be some local shit going on?

Thank U!

Yea tell me about it I just mentioned this in the joining twice tread. I'll be right in the middle of getting ready to get a good kill or kills and "There Is a Problem With Your Connection"

But not crash to desktop just to server menu screen rejoin same IP right away and your points are still there but it will happen again and again and again and again.
I can't stand this much more.

MyOdessa

Recruit

25.12.2007, 03:03

Quoted

Originally posted by KlaatuOne

Yea tell me about it I just mentioned this in the joining twice tread. I'll be right in the middle of getting ready to get a good kill or kills and "There Is a Problem With Your Connection"

But not crash to desktop just to server menu screen rejoin same IP right away and your points are still there but it will happen again and again and again and again.
I can't stand this much more.

I had the same problem, never could figure it out, until friend suggested that router could be a problem. When I plug into DSL modem problem went away. You may want to check your router if you use one or modem/cable box.